Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Connecting GoPro to Raspberry Pi
Done a brief bit of research into connecting to a GoPro via the Raspberry Pi.

The GoPro appears to run an internal webserver which is accessible via WiFi for accessing still images and live footage (the latter is stored as a still image in a .m3u8 file format)

It should be possible to put together a simple script or two that can connect over WiFi from the RPi to the GoPro and control it as well as download images (utilising ffmpeg seems a rather easy route for grabbing images: link 1, link 2).

The networking script could then send grabbed images back to Earth if bandwidth permits. (Back of the envelope, JPEG compressed gives ~100KB, 10Kbps rating on the MTX2 of PITS -> 1.25KBps -> 80 seconds for one image in ideal scenario with no bandwidth for anything else). This seems unlikely to me, though.

The GoPro accepts commands via its web interface too, as documented here.

I'm not entirely sure what the best method would be for utilising a GoPro, but if we go that route the easiest usage may be to set it to record video mode for a while, then timelapse and then video once more (both to conserve battery and storage - GoPro is rated at 2:30 battery life on 720p60 recording and allows max 32GB storage in the MicroSD port; though given it outputs in .mp4 and other compressed formats it seems likely storage would be the least concern of the two).

Any thoughts?
"Physics is like sex: sure, it may give some practical results, but that's not why we do it." - Richard P. Feynman
It sounds like a good idea. One thing that may cause problems is that, from what I understood, the payload has a high chance of spinning randomly so if we choose to record video, the image might be blurry. Wouldn't it be better to take still frames?
That's possible, was intending to largely just report on capabilities, the example use case was just a stab in the dark as to a possible action plan.
"Physics is like sex: sure, it may give some practical results, but that's not why we do it." - Richard P. Feynman
Sounds really good! I hadn't realised how complex the GoPro was. My only concern, maintaining it's own WiFi network will drain more power, which is potentially an issue. I'd be surprised if blurriness would be an issue when shooting video, it'll be very bright up high so I imagine the shutter speed will be set to something pretty high. With regards to having a cannon powershot camera attached, as some people suggested, I'm tempted to suggest we somehow hack into the shutter button ie. rewire the button into the pi in the sky GPIO ports so that we can essentially 'press the button' remotely.
Also, here's the manual to connect the Pi to the Pi in the Sky Kit: http://www.pi-in-the-sky.com/data/upload...manual.pdf